Saturday 9 September 2017

Me time in Brighton - because I'm worth it.

One of the guiding principles of Go Mum Go is valuing and taking care of yourself. It's something that too many of us forget to do or just don't get round to. One of the ways I have learned to take care of myself - and let's face it I'm still a work in progress - is to identify when I'm likely to get overwhelmed. The Summer holidays are a classic energy sapper for me so I made a decision to take preventative action this year. With Hubbie's blessing I booked a night away in Brighton.

A bit of luxury
Initially I was looking for a cheap hotel and then I saw a special offer to stay at the Grand. There was extensive work going on so the rooms at the front of the hotel did not offer a sea view and I was able to stay in a suite for a fraction of the normal price. Ok it was way over the budget I'd set for myself, but I decided that if I really wanted to treat myself and make this a proper break I would splash out and stay somewhere amazing. It was worth it !

The suite without a view 

The best thing about taking time for myself was the freedom to stroll around shops without having to make toilet stops for the children, without the constant whingeing for a snack, a drink, a new toy, a play in the park. I checked in, put my overnight case into the dressing room and went to make a cup of tea using the most beautiful tea set I've ever seen in a hotel. Once the tea was made I sat on the bed and drank it. While it was still hot.

Beautiful tea set 

I went out to the theatre and didn't have to rush home. There was a wedding at the hotel so there was music all night, but it didn't matter as I knew I could stay in bed in the morning. As it was I woke up at 6am and decided to go for a run along the seafront. The air was crisp and fresh and it was quiet and traffic free. I'd forgotten a hairband so I asked a woman who was walking her dog if she had a spare and she did so I was able to tie my hair back for the return lap.

Morning sky and boats

I've always loved the beach huts along the seafront - they are so pretty. Seeing them inspired me to get onto my summer project to repaint the garden den for the boys in the style of a beach hut. I have since done it and am very pleased with how it turned out. You see a break does a world of good for creativity too. Having the space to think without the background noise of children is something I hadn't appreciated.

Brighton beach huts

On a usual day I rarely get time to eat in the mornings so it was a real treat to get back from my run to sit down and eat a leisurely breakfast. I will confess that this photo doesn't tell the full story - you're seeing the instagram friendly one. Let's just say This was the opening act and I didn't need to eat lunch.

Breakfast for one

I love Brighton and being able to spend time there on my own was just lovely. I've made a promise to myself to take breaks on my own more often and I'd recommend it to anyone. Inspired by my 'me time break' one of my lovely mum friends went for a weekend to Berlin and had a wonderful time. She visited museums by night and stayed in a lovely hotel and just relaxed. I am a bit jealous to be honest so I'll have to think of somewhere a bit further afield for my next adventure. Any suggestions appreciated.

I love Brighton

No comments:

Post a Comment